Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Let’s just ‘shoot the crap’ for a while


Literally. Well, almost literally.

It’s amazing the things you find entertaining over here, and at the risk of sounding cliche, you don’t know what you have until it’s gone. Where’s this going you ask?

Much to my dismay, someone recently slapped a fresh coat of paint on the walls of the latrines. That’s like taking the paper out of someone’s driveway (well, not really but it makes for a good comparison)!

Let me describe the ‘facilities’ first. There are different levels of ‘facilities’ depending on where you ‘go’ if you’ll excuse the pun. Everything from your standard Nascar event porta-jon to what a friend (and fellow Auburn grad) calls a Cadillac. The cadillacs are approximately 8x20 air-conditioned trailers. There are even different versions of the cadillac - some for showering, some for doing your business, each with about 6 or 8 stalls for the appropriate purpose. You don’t see these at Bike Week - they’re more the Shania Twain outdoor concert style (omitting the shower trailers of course, but I’m sure that would lead to an interesting concert....).

So what on earth can you find entertaining about the morning constitution in a trailer? Graffiti. Yes dear readers, I found myself changing stalls when possible just to change things up a bit - between ‘events’, not during....oh forget it. Over here, different is good. Keeps the mind working. Like bran for the brain, you know?

Remember, it’s all in the name of entertainment.....and it keeps you up on all the local gossip. There are many pearls of wisdom to be found in the most peculiar places. I have to admit, there was a tone of rivalry when we weren’t the only unit on the FOB, but since the other guys left the ‘we’re better than you’ stuff has all but gone away. It’s more of an internal dialog now. For instance, you can find out which sergeants aren’t liked, and which soldiers are - and for what reasons. I’ll leave that one to your imagination.

Some artists are bordering on Van Gogh-ish (it’s all relative ok?), others have relegated themselves forever to the stick figure world. One even looks to have taken an engineering drawing class at some point. My biggest questions: what’s the proper procedure for leaving your mark? Do you toil at a computer (sort of like blog entries), or scribble on a napkin at dinner? Either way, you’ll have some type of notes with you (the napkin can then act as your emergency supply of johhny-wrap if you find yourself a the end of your two-ply rope, so to speak). Or do you just wing it? What’s the preferred marking utensil?

This is truly more thought and effort than I’ve EVER put into this topic (writing about it anyway), but I thought I’d exercise my creative license a bit. Now before you start worrying about my mental well-being......don’t. I just thought I’d throw a little something unique out to the ‘net. I’ll bet you caught yourself trying to figure out the answers to my questions just now, didn’t you? If you did, please raise your hand. As you can see from the picture above, there’s a bit of creativity and original thought, right?

Wonder what this will do to the old hit counter?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Doug E

good ta see you is entertain'n your sef over dere. I wuz very very inner'ested in da topic. An is so pleased dat you is mak'n da bes of yuz 'cercumstances.

Mercy, mercy an I been wonder'n howz dey been tak'n care of dat'biness over dere.

Nows I know all 'bout it. Tank you Doug E.

suonmag